Digital Strategy + Social Media Community Management + Content Creation + Live Event Social Media + Creative Studio + Data-Driven Insight + Paid Media
Restricted rights access, the worst ticket sales in World Championships history and negative press reporting on doping… Fifty Digital and World Athletics faced an uphill battle going into the World Athletics Championships in Doha.
With a brief to solely deliver the social media and creative for the Championships, Fifty Digital’s combination of content management on-the-ground, and creative studio support from London, would prove pivotal.
With little on-track content available, Fifty needed to get creative with a best-in-sport digital and social event strategy for World Athletics and a fresh social creative look and feel that could be adapted for different content themes and utilised across platforms and partners.
A content strategy was developed to change the way audiences see athletics by heroising the athletes, their stories and emotional Championship moments. Live video rules, so we broadcast the World Athletics Club each morning with two presenters, athlete guests and information about the day’s action – a quick win to start each day.
To engage a younger demographic, memes were utilised. Trend identification played a big part in Fifty’s role and we continually ensured the hottest topics on the track were also trending off it.
Redefining YouTube’s use, Live Streams as well as ‘Doha Moments’ and ‘Highlights’ playlists ensured subscribers received all the content they could consume.
– 200k new social followers.
– 211 million social impressions.
– 52 million YouTube minutes watched.
– 14 million views (number still increasing daily due to our YouTube optimisation strategy).
– 5.6 million social engagements.
– 234k uses of #WorldAthleticsChamps.
– All channels surpassed London growth in numbers and percentage, YouTube more than doubled, Instagram achieved more than triple London’s growth.